Wednesday, November 18, 2009

3, 2, 1, Charge!

The most common question new independent teachers ask me is: how much should we charge? Before you ask: "what can we charge?" you have to ask: "what do we earn?"

In France many teachers have grown accustomed to earning between 15 and 22€ an hour net.

Frankly, I don't know why anyone "speaks in Brut" (before taxes). Hiring managers at language schools "speak in Brut." Many teachers I know "speak in Brut." At the interview, they give you the Brut hourly wage and hope you don't bring up Net (after taxes). Friends: what's the point of "thinking in Brut" if you don't pocket that sum?

Below, I walk you through how much you are worth as a non-independent and calculate the minimum price you could charge a language school once you become an independent.
  • Look at the bottom of one of your monthly Bulletin de Paie (pay stub) at your Net pay (Net a Payer).
  • Find your Total Brut pay, in bold.
  • Look at the right-hand column. It should be called: Charges Patronales. At the bottom of the column, in bold, you'll find the total charges patronales. This is a tax your employer pays to have you on staff.
  • Add the Charges Patronales to the Total Brut.
  • Divide the total by the number of hours you worked that month.
  • The result is how much you are worth, per hour, for that language establishment.
Let's look at this example.
  • One month, as a CDII teacher, I clocked in 41 hours at a language school.
  • I was paid 714.82 € Net (17.43€ / hr)
  • My Brut pay was 918.40 €
  • The Charges Patronales was 394.81 €
  • 918.40 € + 394.81 € = 1313.21€
  • 1313.21€ ÷ 41 hours = 32.03€ / hr
Once an independent, I decided to give myself a little raise, wrote a proposal for 35€ / hr and the language school accepted. After the charges and taxes I paid as an independent, I pocketed a bit more than my days as a CDII teacher.

When calculating your hourly rate, it's usually best to be conservative and assume that 37% goes towards charges and taxes. So with the above pay, I made 20€ as an independent instead of 17.43€. That's still pretty low if we calculate the time it takes to do all the paperwork, the billing, the pay chase and the other nitty gritty.

In a future post, I'll go into why time really is money for an independent teacher in France.
But at least you can now look at your Bulletin de Paie with a informed eye and charge full steam ahead.